Posted on Apr 23, 2014
In an effort to not “fight the tool” I try to adapt to the latest conventions of the current operating system version.
To this end, I’ve tried to give the Windows 8 Start screen a chance. I’ve been using Windows 8 for almost a year now. At first, I moved the “live tiles” around but after I while I found that I just never used the tiles. Instead I’d press the...
Posted on Jan 15, 2012
I recently updated the code in my post “Solving Boggle-type word games in Python” to run under Python 3.1. The previous code ran under 2.6 and there were a few breaking changes between versions.
The breaking changes I encountered:
print is now a function call
raw_input replaced with input
No more .has_key() in dictionary objects, instead use in
sorted parameters change
I also wanted to...
Posted on Jan 7, 2010
An update to this post using Python 3.1 is available
Recently I’ve been spending a lot of my spare time learning the Python computer programming language. This all began because of an interest in the Google App Engine, which uses Python as the primary language. I decided that it’d been a while since I picked up a new programming language (the last being C#) and I knew I’d have some spare...
Posted on Nov 29, 2009
I had an issue with a Windows 2008 Server recently, where a security update for Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 would install successfully. However, after rebooting, Windows Update would request that I install it again. In the Windows Update history, it would show success, multiple times.
It turns out the problem was that I had Virtual PC 2007 AND Virtual PC 2007 SP1 installed side-by-side. I uninstalled my...
Posted on Feb 8, 2009
If you work with SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) 2005 for any length of time, you’ll see a number of ambiguous error messages. I recently ran into the error below and found the solution quite easy. Maybe you’ll encounter this one day and I’ll save you some headache.
An error occurred during local report processing.
The definition of the report ‘/Main’ is invalid.
Posted on Jan 19, 2009
Recently I encountered a bug in SharePoint where sometimes duplicate items appear when viewing items in Datasheet view in SharePoint. This also happens when using the Export to Spreadsheet (Excel). If duplicates appear in Datasheet view, they will also appear during Export to Spreadsheet and vice versa.
This happens only under specific circumstances. The base list must have a required lookup...
Posted on Dec 7, 2008
The C# string library is pretty comprehensive, but there are a few methods that were left out. Luckily, in C# 3.0 extensions were introduced, which allows developers to seemingly add methods to existing classes. Remember that extensions only work inside the same namespace, so you’ll have to rename “MyNamespace” in the example below.
Two of the missing methods are case-insensitive...